Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Rocker Neil Young is singing new tune: Southern Spider-Man

A new species of spider has been named “Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi” in honor of rock star Neil Young (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2004409861_spiderman13.html). The spider is indigenous to Alabama. I find quite a bit of irony in that fact-- A spider from the South, Alabama no less, is named after Neil Young. You know, the guy that wrote the song Southern Man. The song that prompted southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd to write the song Sweet Home Alabama to tell ole Neil just what they thought of him.

Well I heard mister Young sing about her
Well, I heard ole Neil put her down
Well, I hope Neil Young will remember
A Southern man don't need him around anyhow

So I wonder Lynyrd Skynrd might have to say about this. Maybe “we squashes them bugs down here”.

No comments: